PROGRAM SNEŽNIK – »UNESCO heritage of beech forests on Snežnik Mountains«
We offer you the chance to discover and explore the territory listed as UNESCO World Heritage.
Snežnik (1796 m)
Snežnik Mountains lies in the transitional area between the Adriatic Sea and the European continent. The forests of Snežnik Mountains are an immense closed forest area that lies between the coastal territories and inland Slovenia. The vast environment of interesting karst features and phenomena with diverse habitats is dominated by Dinaric beech forests and fir-beech forests. They are home to many different species of animals, the most notable being the wild beasts (brown bear, wolf, lynx), deer and chamois.
In 2017, this area was inscribed onto the UNESCO World Heritage List.
We will meet in the parking lot in the park in front of Snežnik Castle in the municipality of Loška dolina at 8 AM. From there, we will drive to the starting point in the Snežnik Mountains where we will leave our vehicles and continue on foot. The drive to the starting point of the hike takes 30 min.
Hiking destination: Drago Karolin mountain hut under the summit of Snežnik Mountain (1796 m)
Length (km): 12 km
Duration: 8 – 8,5 HOURS
- Professional guidance and heritage interpretation.
- Light meal in the Drago Karolin mountain hut under the summit or packed lunch (provided by Lilijana Mahne, dopolnilna dejavnost na kmetiji).
- Lunch from local self-supply and interpretation of the culinary heritage of Notranjska (provided by Lilijana Mahne, dopolnilna dejavnost na kmetiji).
- 2 persons – 100.00 EUR per person
- 3-5 persons – 70.00 EUR per person
- 6-8 persons – 50.00 EUR per person
- 9-10 persons – 40.00 EUR per person
The program is conducted in groups consisting of a minimum of 2 to maximum of 10 people. It is suitable for physically well-prepared hikers. It is not suitable for children under the age of 12. We recommend trekking poles. Hiking boots are mandatory.
Due to limited number of visitors in the group and in one day you need to make reservation of visit on telephone before the visit. Prepayment of the program is required. Program is performed by arrangement.
Author of images Simon Avsec